Home Accessibility Program for Independence (HAPI)
The HAPI grant program provides an opportunity for those with physical disabilities to remain in their homes.
HAPI is a grant program to assist eligible homeowners and landlords to construct accessibility modifications to their homes.
Accessible modifications include but are not limited to:
- Exterior Ramps
- Chair Gliders or Lifts
- Door Widening
- Bathroom Modifications
- Lowering Kitchen Counters
- Sliding Shelves
- Visual Door Bells
- Visual Phone Signalers
Eligible homeowners may receive a grant from $1,000 up to $10,000 for a single unit home. Landlords may receive a grant up to $5,000 per unit.
- Proof of Disability in the form of a letter, excuse from your Doctor, or a letter showing that you receive Social Security Disability.
- Must fall within income guidelines and provide verification of all income, with copies of the two most recent pay stubs for each wage earner.
- Deed must be in homeowner's name or proof of owner's permission to make modifications.
- Copy of the latest Income Tax Returns or Non-Filing Verification Letter (1.800.829.1040).
- Verification that City and County Real Estate Taxes are paid (if available).
HOW TO APPLY:
Please call the URA at 412.255.6672 and ask for an application. Please complete the application and attach the requested documentation for each household member and submit to:
Urban Redevelopment Authority of PIttsburgh
200 Ross Street, 10th Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
There is a $150.00 loan processing fee that is due at the grant closing.
HAPI Income Limits by Household Size:
PRIORITY (50% AMI)
For more information on the HAPI Program, please contact Program Specialist Justin Belton at 412.255.6672 or email@example.com.