Home Accessibility Program for Independence (HAPI)
The HAPI grant program provides an opportunity for those with physical disabilities to remain in their homes.
The Home Accessibility Program for Independence (HAPI) is a grant program intended to assist eligible homeowners and landlords to construct accessibility modifications to their homes.
Accessible modifications include, but are not limited to:
- Exterior Ramps
- Chair Gliders or Lifts
- Door Widening
- Bathroom Modifications
- Lowering Kitchen Counters
- Sliding Shelves
- Visual Door Bells
- Visual Phone Signalers
Eligible homeowners may receive a grant from $1,000 up to $10,000 for a single unit home. Landlords may receive a grant up to $5,000 per unit.
- Proof of Disability in the form of a letter, excuse from your Doctor, or a letter showing that you receive Social Security Disability
- Must fall within income guidelines and provide verification of all income, with copies of the two most recent pay stubs for each wage earner
- Deed must be in homeowner's name or proof of owner's permission to make modifications
- Copy of the latest Income Tax Returns or Non-Filing Verification Letter (1.800.829.1040)
- Verification that City and County Real Estate Taxes are paid (if available)
How to Apply
Please call the URA at 412.255.6651 and ask for an application. Once completed, attach the requested documentation for each household and submit your application to the following address:
Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh
412 Blvd of the Allies
Attention: Residential & Consumer Lending
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Please refer to the chart below for HAPI 2021 income limits by household size.
For more information on the HAPI Program, please contact Program Assistant Doren Hilmer at 412.255.6574 or email@example.com.