Energy Innovation Center
The Energy Innovation Center has redeveloped the former Connelley Trade School into a multi-disciplinary institution on energy research including workforce development training.
Hill District1435 Bedford Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15219
The Energy Innovation Center has redeveloped the former Connelley Trade School into a multi-disciplinary institution on energy research and workforce development training.
The Connelley Trade School, located in Pittsburgh’s Hill District, had a long history of vocational training since opening in 1931. The Energy Innovation Center has reimagined this legacy by transforming the former school into a “living laboratory” for energy efficiency, alternative energy, and energy production.
The Energy Innovation Center opened in 2015.
A 200,000 square foot center for industry-informed education and training programs and the co-location of collaborative university-industry partners, energy sector corporations, national energy research laboratories, and community organizations.
- Developer: Pittsburgh Gateways Corporation/Energy Innovation Center Institute
- Contractor: Mascaro Construction Company
- Architect: DLA Architecture and Interior Design
- Total Development Cost: $47,100,000
- URA Support: $5,000,000 Pittsburgh Urban Initiatives New Market Tax Credit allocation
- 200,000 square feet adaptive reuse of the former Connelley Trade School
- 53 construction jobs created
- 225 full-time equivalent jobs created
- LEED Platinum Certification