Avenues of Hope Initiative
A holistic model for rebuilding Pittsburgh's Black main streets
The Avenues of Hope Initiative is a place-based, people-first approach that intervenes across all layers of successful, healthy, and sustainable main street development.
This initiative focuses on seven major business corridors, in which the goal is to invest in existing small businesses and residents, supporting the inclusive growth of the neighborhoods.
The Avenues of Hope will be:
- Centers of Black arts and culture
- Mixed-use, transit-oriented, and pedestrian-friendly built environments
- Healthy communities supported by education, health care, senior care, recreation, and human supportive services
The URA is working with the City of Pittsburgh to focus on housing investment, workforce connectivity, commercial corridor activation, façade renovations, and other impactful MWBE and small business support.
Focus Areas for Implementation and Inclusive Growth
Avenues of Hope Victories
- Givner Building
- Big Tom's Barbershop
- CARES CommuniTEA Café
- Larimer For-Sale Affordable Housing
Total lending to date: $1,962,400
Avenues of Hope Programs
Avenues of Hope ARPA Grant Program
The Avenues of Hope American Rescue Plan Act Grant Program provides grants up to $200,000 to advance community projects and programs that both align with the Avenues of Hope initiative of supporting equitable development within Pittsburgh’s minority communities and businesses, and with Federal American Rescue Plan Act final ruling.
Small Contractor Line of Credit Program
The Small Contractor Line of Credit Program supports operating construction companies taking on Avenues of Hope projects that require access to working capital. Contractors may be eligible to receive financing of up to 90% of submitted and approved invoices of $25,000 - $100,000 on an annual basis.
Commercial Real Estate Program
The Avenues of Hope Commercial Real Estate Program provides capital to local and minority small businesses and developers in support of Avenues of Hope projects.
Storefront Façade Grant Program
The Avenues of Hope Storefront Façade Grant Program provides funds to commercial building and business owners to improve their building facades.
Avenues of Hope Kickoff Event: Chartiers Avenue
November 6, 2021
Join the URA, City of Pittsburgh, and Councilwoman Theresa Kail-Smith for a family-friendly outdoor event! Enjoy local vendors and activities for kids. Speak with local organizations about funding and resources available for entrepreneurs, small businesses, and homeowners, homebuyers, and renters. Learn more about the URA’s community engagement process...and more!
Hill Community Mixer
Thursday, April 21, 2022
Join the URA for the a Hill Community Mixer in partnership with the office of Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle. This meeting will provide information on current URA-led development projects within the Hill District, as well as URA programs and services available to residents and business owners.
Homewood Resource Fair
November 15, 2022
Join the URA and partnering organizations for a community Resource Fair. This family-friendly event will be an opportunity to connect with URA staff and local organizations working to support Homewood residents. Attend to learn more about resources available to you! There will be food, coloring and face painting by Christine Patton for children. Registration via Eventbrite is free, and walk-ins are welcome.
News and Updates
- URA and Salem's Market and Grill Sign Lease Agreement for Centre Heldman Plaza Location
- URA Board of Directors Approves $1.37 Million Loan for the Expansion of Salem’s Market and Grill in the Hill District
- URA Board To Vote On Two Items To Further The Success Of Avenues Of Hope Initiative
- Big Tom's Groundbreaking Brings Bringing $1.94M in Investment for Barbershop, Affordable Housing and Community Revitalization
- Walnut Capital and the URA Partner with the Larimer Consensus Group to Bring New Affordable, For-Sale Housing to Larimer Residents
- URA Seeking Proposals to Develop Community Plans for Chartiers and Perrysville Business Districts in Avenues of Hope Corridors
- URA Announces $24 Million in New Community Investment in Avenues of Hope Corridors
- URA and Pittsburgh Housing Development Corporation Awarded $654,310 to Support Affordable Housing, Homeowner Accessibility, and Façade Programs
- Watch: OwnPGH Press Conference 3/10/21
- Mayor Peduto and URA Launch Affordable Home Ownership and Neighborhood Blight-Fighting Initiative
- CARES CommuniTEA Café to Celebrate its Grand Opening on February 1, 2021
- Watch: Avenues of Hope Press Conference 10/14/20
- City and URA Launch Avenues of Hope Initiative to Advance Revitalization of Historically Diverse Business Districts
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.