The Givner Building project is a mixed-use development in the Homewood South neighborhood seeking to strengthen the business district and encourage additional investment in the neighborhood.
The Givner Building development will rehabilitate 627 North Homewood Avenue, effectively creating two new commercial spaces and six affordable residential rental units at a strategic location in Homewood’s Business District.
Historically, the Givner Building has been a key component of Homewood's Business District. The building formerly housed the WURP Radio Station, a barbershop, a dental office, and the Homewood-Brushton Revitalization & Development Corporation offices until it was recently vacated. The proposed redevelopment will contribute towards the development of the key intersection of N. Homewood Avenue and Kelly Street and anchor a strategically crucial section of the business district with the creation of the new affordable rental units and commercial spaces.
Financing closed in November 2020 and construction is expected to begin December 2020.
The rehabilitation of this structure will result in two ground floor commercial spaces, planned to be occupied by Dana’s Bakery and Roux Orleans, a Caribbean restaurant. These businesses will help anchor the business district and encourage continued investment in the neighborhood. Additionally, the development will create six affordable rental opportunities in the City of Pittsburgh.
- Developer: Operation Better Block, Inc.
- Development Consultant: Action Housing, Inc.
- Contractor: Nelcon Construction
- Architect: Farkas Associates
- Total Development Costs: $2,319,085
- URA Financing:
- Housing Opportunity Fund (HOF) Rental Gap Program (RGP) Loan – $120,000
- Rental Housing Development & Improvement Program (RHDIP) Loan – $280,000
- UDAG Program Income Fund (UPIF) Loan – $275,000
- Community Development Investment Fund (CDIF) Grant – $35,000
- URA Streetface Program Loan – $63,000
- URA DCED Keystone Grant Award (OBB serving as sub-grantee) – $350,000
- The mixed-use development will contain two ground floor commercial spaces, which will be approximately 1,023 square feet and 770 square feet. The second and third floors will contain six affordable one-bedroom/ one-bath rental units and be approximately 550 square feet each. Four of the six units will be available to Housing Choice Voucher-eligible tenants at or below 50% Area Median Income and two units available to tenants at or below 80% Area Median Income.