Krause Commons is a new, affordable rental building in the neighborhood of Squirrel Hill. Opening in fall 2018, Krause Commons will consist of 33 affordable units with a preference for residents with disabilities.
Squirrel Hill2615 Murray Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217
Krause Commons, to be completed in fall 2018, offers affordable and supportive housing in Squirrel Hill. Half of the units are designed with a preference for those with intellectual and/or mental health disabilities.
The development site is located at the former Poli restaurant. The neighborhood offers a mix of rental and owner-occupied housing opportunities, a dynamic commercial corridor, strong public schools, grocery stores, parks and playgrounds, and all of the other necessities for daily living. The Forward/Murray site is adjacent to a primary public transportation route that provides access to the larger metropolitan area.
Construction financing for the development closed in July 2017 and is scheduled for fall of 2018 completion.
The development is comprised of 33 units, half of which are slated for those with intellectual and/or mental health disabilities and the other half for general occupancy. The first two floors will be developed for Jewish Residential Services (JRS) to operate an expanded Howard Levin Clubhouse and relocate its administrative offices. This unique project will eradicate blight, create much needed supportive and affordable housing, and catalyze thoughtful development of a highly visible gateway location.
- Developer: SQUIRREL HILL GATEWAY LOFTS, LP (Action-Housing, Inc. as general partner)
- Community Partner: Jewish Residential Services, Inc (JRS)
- Contractor: Mosites Construction Company
- Architect: FortyEighty Architecture
- Total Development Cost: $16,637,175
- URA Financing: $500,000
- The new building has 29 one-bedroom and four two-bedroom apartments. The first two floors are developed for Jewish Residential Services, Inc. for an expanded Howard Levin Clubhouse and administrative offices. The project includes a two-story, 23 space parking structure across the street on the triangular lot.