The Morningside Crossing development is an adaptive reuse of the former Morningside School building plus a new addition into 46 units of mixed-income senior housing, a new community center and a public plaza.
Morningside1802 Jancey Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
The Morningside Crossing development provides the neighborhood with an active, intergenerational community destination that combines elements of preservation, new construction and public space for the community’s use.
The URA acquired the closed and vacant elementary school from the City of Pittsburgh Public School District in 2014. Through the URA Real Estate RFP process, a.m. Rodriguez was selected to redevelop the site. The project was awarded Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTCs) and from the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) in 2016.
Construction financing for the development closed in May 2017 and will be completed in late Summer of 2018.
Preservation efforts focus on the exterior facade of the original 1897 schoolhouse, which will house 10 units and amenity spaces. The 36-unit balance will be constructed as part of a modern, contextually-adapted, three-story addition over a landscaped parking area. A newer addition from 2006 has been demolished to provide space for the community plaza, and an older addition will be converted into the two-story Center, which will serve the dual purpose as the community room for the property and a community center for the neighborhood. The Project has been designed to meet Passive House Standards.
- Developer: Morningside Crossing, LP (a.m. RODRIGUEZ ASSOCIATES inc. as general partner)
- Community Partner: Morningside Area Community Council
- Contractor: Sota Construction Services, Inc.
- Architect: Thoughtful Balance
- Total Development Cost:$14,053,584
- URA Financing: $1,000,000
- The developer purchased the building from the URA.
- Mixed income senior residential units with a community center and public plaza.
For those interested in these units and their availability, please direct your inquiries here.