The Neighborhood Initiatives Fund Program (NIF)
The Neighborhood Initiatives Fund Program assists nonprofit and community-based organizations with neighborhood-scale projects in commercial corridors that improve quality of life and maintain the neighborhood as a desirable place to live.
The NIF Program provides grants in order to help unlock the economic and placemaking potential within neighborhood commercial corridors; support vision-to-action community investment strategies that build an equitable Pittsburgh; provide specific focus on Avenues of Hope corridors; and formalize collaborative partnerships across the City.
NIF is intended to assist nonprofits (including government agencies) and community-based organizations with neighborhood-scale projects in commercial corridors. In 2021, priority will be given to projects in Avenues of Hope corridors. These projects include efforts that encourage neighborhood investment through vacant property reclamation and stewardship, historic preservation, brownfield redevelopment, public infrastructure improvements, and/or other eligible efforts. Nonprofit organizations with for profit development partners are also eligible to apply.
There are two tiers of available grants:
- Tier 1 grants will fund projects between $20,000 and $30,000
- Tier 2 grants will fund projects between $30,001 and $100,000
A match is not required for Tier 1 grants. Tier 2 grants will require a 2:1 match; for every two dollars ($2) of Program funds invested into a project, there must be at least one-dollar ($1) match invested in the project. Matching funds must come from non-URA and non-city sources.
Important Program Dates
- NIF program applications open - June 15, 2021
- NIF Information/Technical Assistance Sessions:
- June 22, 2021, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- July 27, 2021, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- August 10, 2021, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- NIF program applications due - August 31, 2021, 5:00 p.m.
Submit applications via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application review - September 2021
- Funding awards announced - October 2021
- Contracting process begins - October 2021
How to Apply
Applications for the 2021 NIF program will open on June 15, 2021, and must be submitted by 5:00 pm on August 31, 2021 to email@example.com.
Click on the Program Application link below. Download the application, fill out all sections, and return with all necessary attachments via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grow Pittsburgh
- North Side Partnership Project
- ACH Clear Pathways Arts Center
- Brookline Community Apiary and Garden Infrastructure
- Watch Press Event: Hill District Community-driven Projects
- Release: City, Urban Redevelopment Authority Investing $250,000 in Three Hill District Community-Driven Projects
- Watch Press Event: Esser’s Plaza on the South Side
- Release: City, Urban Redevelopment Authority Investing $100,000 in the Revitalization of Esser's Plaza
- Watch Press Event: Beltzhoover Elementary School
- Release: City, Urban Redevelopment Authority Investing $72,000 in Community-Driven Project at Former Beltzhoover Elementary School
- Release: URA Announces Neighborhood Initiatives Fund Projects Ready to Move Forward
In the News
- URA, City of Pittsburgh and Key Stakeholders Celebrate Revitalization of the Pittsburgh Musical Theater
- Beltzhoover residents laud URA’s investment in former elementary school | TribLIVE
- Got a community-led project? Apply for the URA’s $100,000 neighborhood assistance program
- URA announces Neighborhood Initiatives Fund projects
- URA announces Neighborhood Initiative Fund awards
- 'It has taken us over the top': $850,000 in grants awarded under new URA program